Welcome to the Rotopeka

This is the online place for the Rotopeka.

Thursday, September 27, 2007

Wiggins Speaks About TPAC

The 2007-08 season for the Topeka Performing Arts Center has been scheduled.

"We have five shows lined up this year," said Barbara Wiggins, Executive Director of the Topeka Performing Arts Center. I am really excited about our third show of the year, which is something I have been working hard on, which is partnering with the Topeka Symphony Orchestra. Our first show after the new year will be a performance by the rock band Kansas with the Topeka Symphony Orchestra.

Another big event will take place on March 12, when Ted Neeley who played the original Jesus in the movie Jesus Christ Superstar will be performing in the touring show.

Programming at TPAC is one of Wiggins major rolls as Executive Director.

"I don't travel to many events," she says. "In my roll I have already seen most of the shows, but those I have not, I will watch them over the internet."

Wiggins is the point of contact for the arts center and works with the promoters and artist representatives to then develops contracts and promotional agreements. "When it comes to programming, the buck stops with me," she says. "So if you are interested in seeing a particular event, please feel free to give me a call."

Wiggins explained that she prefers to build in a 150-mile clause into the contracts which prohibits that same show from playing and drawing interest away from the show at TPAC.

"As far as I am concerned, anything that is showing in Kansas City is too close," she says. "People in this community will often go out of town for events."

Wiggins says that she will deviate from that philosophy only if the Topeka show is announced and promoted first.

No comments: